Thursday, April 2, 2009

April 4 - Rant Of The Day

I spent several years working for tips and I consider myself to be a generous tipper. I empathize with folks who rely on tips to earn a living. Some of them are truly deserving of all you can spare for a job well done. For example, consider the life of a hotel maid. Ever wonder what it must be like to clean a dozen toilets used by strangers every day of your life? If that isn't worth a fiver, nothing is.

But what the hell is going on with all the tip jars springing up at every self-serve counter in town? I'm sorry, but if I have to stand in line to order and pay, you are not getting a tip from me. I don't care whether you call yourself a barista. You don't know what it's like to earn tips for a living until you have spent a year hawking spaghetti dinners to groups of Japanese tourists a block from Disneyland like I did. I can still remember those mornings my feet hurt so bad I could barely walk after pulling a double shift waiting tables the day before.

I've been there and you haven't, guy at Subway. And furthermore, you ain't getting a tip from me for making my sandwich.

No comments: