Friday, September 5, 2008

The Saga Continues

Well, we are all moved in. So far so good....except for one thing. We can't figure out how to get the dang phone and internet turned on.

When we were in Florida, I made the dumb mistake of thinking we could order phone service from any of Denver's major providers, assuming they agreed to serve us when I called. Wrong.

Company A said they would be happy to set us up with phone and internet service via DSL. They schedule a technician to come out this past Wednesday. The technician arrived on Wednesday afternoon, but asked me if I knew where the "box" was. Hell, I don't even know where the dumpster is yet. He went off to find it and returned later to tell me that he just found out his company doesn't serve my area. He advised me to call company B.

Company B said they would be happy to set us up with phone and internet service, but couldn't find my address in their system. It turns out that my address is so new, that their database hadn't been updated. They said they would add the address o their database and give me a call back. "In an hour or so?", I asked. "In a couple of days", they said.

Two days go by. No call. I called company B back and it turns out that I can now order service. They just neglected to call. "Whatever", I'm thinking. "Just get on with it." "Oh. Wait.", the agent says. "We can only provide television and phone service. We aren't allowed to offer internet service for you. We can have a technician out there tomorrow to turn your phone on. What number can we contact you at?" "I don't know. You tell me.", I replied.

So, I call the HOA office and they tell me that the builder has signed some dumb contract with some no-name internet provider we'll call "company C."

I called company C to get service. Some guy answers me on a speakerphone. He tells me that he'll email me a form to fill out that I can fax back to order service. "What's your email address?", he says. "I don't know. You tell me.", I replied.

No comments: